Giving to the Department of Biological Sciences
Educating the Next Generation of Educators, Innovators, and Scientists
Welcome to the Department of Biological Sciences. We are excited to begin this campaign for “educating the next generation of educators, medical professionals, innovators, and scientists”. We urge our local businesses, Alumni, parents of our students, and friends to give generously to this cause. No amount is too small. Less than $50 to no limitation; our goal is to raise $50,000 every year. Your donations will be used for one of the noblest causes of ‘science education’.
The Department of Biological Sciences is a multidisciplinary science program that integrates research with active learning. The natural sciences are an essential part of UNC Charlotte’s leadership role in many research areas, and your gift will directly affect UNC Charlotte students, faculty and staff in the following ways:
We are actively seeking donations/endowments to a) support student and faculty training programs and b) enhance existing research programs
You may donate to:
- Ongoing research – While government and corporate investments contribute to the department’s ongoing research, private investments remain essential. Your gift will support biomedical research, including cancer and infectious diseases, and environmental/ecological research, including climate change, environmental microbiology and bioenergy and biofuels.
- Student Support – Often students cannot afford to travel to national and international scientific conferences, where they can learn from top researchers in their specialty, strategize with their peers, and preview post-doctoral opportunities in their fields. Your gift will provide the means for these undergraduate and graduate students to travel and attend these professional workshops.
- Seminar Series –Your gift will provide the means for the Department to invite scientists from all over the world to give a seminar and interact and network with our students and faculty.
- Community Outreach – The Department of Biological Sciences collaborates with local high schools in the region, bringing students to work with department faculty and staff on research projects. This enables the students to compete in science fairs and many of our high school researchers have won national and international awards. Your gift will enrich the learning experience for these budding scientists as well as provide the time and space for their continued instruction.
- Physical Plant - Modern laboratories need state-of-the-art equipment and workspace for faculty, their teams, and teaching. Your gift will buy lab equipment, teaching aids and building space for growing research teams at UNC Charlotte.
Endowments can be established in the name of family members, other individuals, or businesses.
Scholarships can be established in the name of individuals or businesses.
These funds will empower our students and faculty in enhancing research and education in this great Department.
Your tax-deductible gift will make cutting edge research possible and help generate the next generation of medical professionals, scientists, and educators.
YOU CAN GIVE:
Please enclose your check made payable to “UNC Charlotte Foundation” and note DBS Discretionary Fund on the Memo line. Please indicate one of 4 areas (ongoing research, student support, seminar series, or community outreach) you want your donation to be added to.
Please mail to:
Ms. Shawnie Kent
Department of Biological Sciences
9201 University City Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28223
Any questions regarding the Department: Please contact
Professor Christine Richardson, Interim Chair of the Department
If you or your spouse/partner work for a company that matches your charitable gifts, you may be able to increase the size of your donation through a matching gift. Search our online database to see if your organization participates.