To achieve its vision, The Department of Biology has set as its mission several inter-related goals:
- To advance the frontiers of knowledge through innovation and research in the biological sciences;
- To facilitate development of scientists in the guidance of our bachelors, masters and doctoral Biology students, and in the training of post-doctoral fellows.
- To increase scientific literacy, foster an appreciation of scientific inquiry, and develop well-informed citizens by providing a general education in Biology to the student population;
- To participate in the University-wide academic community through interdisciplinary collaborations, programs and curricula;
- To contribute to local, national, and international scientific communities through collaborations and service activities that promote education and dissemination of information;
- To contribute to the community by collaborating with public, nonprofit, private, and industry partners in the Charlotte metropolitan area and the State of North Carolina.